Thursday, March 31, 2011

bbq shrimp pasta

Pretty much everyone knows what BBQ shrimp is nowadays.  Worcestershire, butter, lemon oh my.  Even if you have never been to NOLA, you have probably tasted some version of this recipe.  Not too many years ago, however, it wasn't such common knowledge.  I am from Louisiana, and have lived on the outskirts of New Orleans all my life.  My husband....not so much.  One of our first dates was spent in a well known New Orleans restaurant arguing over BBQ shrimp.  I fell in love with him when he ordered BBQ shrimp, assuming that it would be slathered in a pile of rib-stickin tomatoey goop.  Further, I knew he was for me when he dumped the garlicky sauce on his pants and put up with me calling him "garlic crotch" for over 15 years and counting.

Here's a great BBQ shrimp recipe that I serve over pasta. You can sop up the extra sauce with a biscuit.  Just don't spill it and risk immature name calling.

BBQ Shrimp over linguini

1 onion quartered
2 bay leaves
3 cups shrimp stock (boil the shells with water)
2 cloves garlic
1tsp Zatarains liquid shrimp & crab boil
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 lbs. shrimp
1/2 cup heavy cream
s&p to taste
herbs to taste
boiled linguini

boil onion, bay leaves, shrimp stock, garlic, Zatarains, Worcestershire, 1/2 cup of butter in heavy sauce pan.  let reduce until it's 1/2 cup of thick liquid (30 minutes).  Strain sauce.  Add shrimp, heavy cream , and 1/4 of butter.  Cook shrimp until tender (10 minutes).  Season with s&p and herbs of choice (chopped basil, oregano) of linguini.

Here are some pics of the progession of the meal.

                                         before the boil

after the boil
 

finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment